Thursday 24 January 2013

Interior Trends for 2013: The Living Room

Interior Trends for 2013: The Living Room

Do you fancy adding some glamour and sophistication to your home?
Create a sense of space, light and depth by fusing a mix of dusky greys with warm amber and cream tones to create a soft, natural glow.

I’m keen to blend my love of France and Africa to create something dramatic yet functional with my young family. A traditional sofa or chaise in any shade of grey, upholstered in fine French linen will set the tone for my room and will look great against an embossed vinyl wallcovering of shimmering silver or bronze.

I intend to add some classic brass picture frames mixed with some jet black high gloss items of furniture. I’ll weave in some safari or exotic flower themed accessories and scatter cushions to reflect a tropical mood. To add a touch of elegance, I plan to add some delicate lace and embroidery.

I’ll finish off the look with a stunning accent chair in vivid orange, mustard or emerald green alongside a lavish ottoman in a contrasting shade of perhaps deep orchard plum or fushia pink to add some real indulgence.

Top 10 Living Room Ideas for the Season:
1.      A classic plain sofa in any tone of grey, preferably upholstered in a quality linen, equisite cut velvet, woven fabrics or heavy weight cotton. I like the contemporary twist to the classic chaise longue below which we created by using military style buttons in pewter.

 
2.      The must-have accent chair to add the ultimate wow factor. Eager to leave the Winter chill behind and migrate to Spring, I’ll use warm tones such as zingy orange, fushia pink, classic cream or fresh emerald green in either a lavish cut velvet, fine wool or heavy weight cotton.


3.      Add something patterned with a symmetrical or zig-zag design in either the cushions, curtains or rugs. I’m keen to add a peppering of Aztec influence somewhere in my room together with some tropical birds or exotic flowers using some of my own photos. Computer-generated art is very hot this season. I love these cushions from Zara:
 
4.      Use good quality paints in neutral shades mixed with elegant wallpapers. Check out the new collection by Mary McDonald at Schumacher:
 
I also love the vintage collection of hand-printed wallpapers by Osborne & Little. Eight of Osborne & Little's most sensational designs have been re-introduced in new, contemporary colourings. See for yourself at:
http://designerwallpapers.co.uk/osborne-and-little/vintage
 
5.      Create simple touches to add feminity to your room. Think embellished and embroidered and how you may be able to throw some delicate lace into the mix. I adore lace metal lanterns like these which we have in our showroom at The Packhouse in Farnham.


Lighting can also add sheer elegance to a room. To tie in the amber mood, why not try something timeless like this Evelyn chandelier from John Lewis?

For table lamps, take a look at some of the new floral lampshades available on the High Street, many of which reflect the computer-generated art trend.

6.      Rummage around your attic or visit car boot sales for a few brass accessories. Seriously, brass is back! I’ve dusted down a beautiful pair of plain brass candle holders and a pre-loved clock which will help to finish the look.

7.      If you’re looking to update your curtains, you’ll always have a richer choice if you choose your own fabric and have them made. However, if you’re looking to save money on your renovation room project, there are some great ready-made options out there. Laura Ashley have a collection of around 30 different prints available in three different sizes. I quite like Millwood Eyelet Ready Made Curtains. It has a subtle leaf and flower print in camomile pale shades that will tie in to the palette scheme for my room.

8.      Be functional. Storage is an issue in my house so I’m going to look for a stylish ottoman in a rich texture that will enhance the overall look whilst also provide the perfect storage solution for the kids’ toys... (here’s hoping!)
 
9.      Always have fresh flowers. It’s one of my personal vices, along with the odd glass of rioja glugged down with a slab of chocolate! For special occasions or visits from my other designer friends I usually treat myself to some tropical cut flowers such as Heliconia splash, but for everyday you can’t beat a bouquet of white lilies or a simple orchid which are always available in the supermarket and make the home feel fresh and welcoming.

10.  Remember, your home is a reflection of your personality. I’ll definitely create a zone to showcase some framed photos of friends and family using a mix of chunky and ornate white and lacquered black frames. I also have a passion for reading so there will be an inevitable pile of books on the coffee table. I might look to enhance the literary theme further by adding a book related feature wall. Here are a couple of innovative wallpaper designs that have caught my eye recently...                                                                                                                                                     I particularly like this simple wallpaper in sepia by Mineheart: http://mydeco.com/p/bookshelf-wallpaper-sepia/GB000000E2E592BD8BC44F6F421976E3C5C4B2C5/

I also like Young & Battaglia’s bookshelf wallpaper which is available from Rockett St George.http://www.mineheartstore.com/wallpaper/vintage-bookshelf-wallpaper.html

For more inspiration on creating an on-trend look, please see the Liberty Rose Interiors boards on Pinterest. Ideas for 2013 lounge looks are here:

No comments:

Post a Comment